|Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Persimmon - fits all Paperwhite generations
|Kindle Oasis E-reader with Leather Charging Cover - Black, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
|Kindle Paperwhite E-reader - White, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Most helpful customer reviews
613 of 630 people found the following review helpful.
It's a fine charger, just be aware that there are more capable (and cheaper) chargers available
By Phil (not) in Magnolia
These days, Amazon doesn't supply a charger when you purchase a new Kindle. That makes sense because most Kindle purchasers probably have older Kindle models already, or other USB powered devices or phones or tablets, many of which will have included chargers. As a result most people will already have a sufficient supply of chargers sitting around.
But for someone who wants or needs a new charger when they order a new Kindle, Amazon presents you with the option to buy one at the time of your Kindle purchase.
So I was surprised when I noticed this new charger model now being offered as an option for new Kindles. My first thought was that Amazon had updated their previous charger models to bring them up-to-date and make them competitive with the great variety of third party chargers now available (see links below for these earlier models).
As soon as I looked at the specs for this charger though, I was disappointed. Unfortunately, even though this is Amazon's latest basic charger offering, it is not in my opinion the best choice for someone who needs a USB charger, for a Kindle or for anything else for that matter. And that's something I wouldn't usually find myself saying, because usually Amazon's accessories are reasonably priced and competitive.
This is certainly a capable and functional charger, and it will work perfectly fine with any Kindle device and charge it acceptably well. But here are the reasons why I feel this is not the best choice:
- It will supply only 1 A output, maximum. That's sufficient for a Kindle e-reader but not sufficient for many other devices. Any of the Fire devices, for example, will benefit from a higher output charger in order to reduce charging time. If you're going to buy a new charger, why not get one that will perform well with any of your devices?
- It has only one USB output. Many third-party chargers now available will provide two or more USB connections so that multiple devices can be charged at the same time.
- It doesn't have the fold-up plugs that the previous charger had. This is a minor point but it is a convenience for carrying the charger on trips or in a bag or purse.
- It's priced at $19.99, which is more expensive than what a charger with this rating should sell for.
Amazon has several other models available that are in my opinion better choices, because they have greater capability, and the prices are either the same or lower than this model. Here is a summary of single-port chargers currently being offered by Amazon (under it's own brand names):
Single port chargers (latest models):
- single port charger with 1.0 A / 5 W total output: Amazon 5W USB Power Adapter (product on this page)
- single port charger with 1.8 A / 9 W total output: Amazon 9W PowerFast Official OEM USB Charger (visually identical to the adaptor on this page and with higher output for the same price)
Single port chargers (previous models):
- single port charger with 1.0 A / 5 W total output: Amazon Kindle 5W USB Power Adapter (previous version)
- single port charger with 0.85 A / 4.2 W total output: Amazon Kindle 4/5/touch/paperwhite Charger) (product no longer listed on Amazon)
Two port chargers:
- two port charger with 2.1 A / 10.5 W total output: AmazonBasics Dual Port USB Wall Charger - 2.1 Amp
- two port charger with 4.2 A / 21 W total output: AmazonBasics Dual Port USB Wall Charger - 4.2 Amp
Example of a single-port charger offered by a different seller on Amazon, with better performance:
- single port charger with 2.4 A / 12 W total output: Hama 12Watt/2.4 Amp Wall Charger with Universal Device Detect, White.
In my opinion, for someone willing to spend $19.99 for a charger, I would recommend either the higher output Amazon single port model, one of the AmazonBasics two port models, or for a very compact but powerful single port model then the Hama charger is a fine choice. Any of those other alternatives will be better choices than this Amazon 5W model, at the same or lower prices.
156 of 159 people found the following review helpful.
By Brian Hockings
Overpriced and should be FREE with Kindle Purchase
181 of 186 people found the following review helpful.
By Nate A
I thought I was getting a fast charger for the price I paid for this! It was $20 for this slow charger...the same price amazon charges for the fast charger. This charger should have been included with my Paperwhite...buyer beware this is way overpriced and should be free with the purchase od a kindle!!!