- 3G-enabled touchscreen phone in ice blue with full HTML browsing, RSS reader, and access to e-mail and instant messaging
- Compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network for fast downloads as well as quick uploads of photo and video to sharing sites
- 3-megapixel camera/camcorder; Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music; microSD expansion to 16 GB; built-in GPS with TeleNav trial
- Up to 6.5 hours of talk time, up to 432 hours (18 days) of standby time
- What's in the Box: handset, battery, travel charger, USB cable, wired stereo hands-free headset, English/Spanish user guide
This finger-touch phone has a respectable feature set, including 3-megapixel camera with video capture, GPS, 3G data, widget home screen, memory card slot, and stereo Bluetooth.
Experience the freedom of on-the-go e-mail, instant messaging and web browsing with the Samsung Highlight for T-Mobile, which features a full touch-screen display, 3-megapixel camera with video capture, music player, and microSD slot for up to 16 GB of removable memory. It comes fully equipped with a virtual, landscape QWERTY touchpad and multiple messaging options, including built-in support for e-mail and instant messaging, as well as text and multimedia messaging.
The 3G-enabled Samsung Highlight features a 3-inch touchscreen with auto-rotation and a virtual QWERTY keyboard.
The phone supports T-Mobile's HSDPA 3G network, which provides fast web downloads and multimedia messaging. Other features include Assisted GPS (a-GPS) for location services, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, full HTML web browsing with RSS reader, personal organizer tools (including tasks and memo), voice-activated functions, and up to 6.5 hours of talk time.
The Samsung Highlight operates on GSM 850/900/1800/1900 networks and is compatible with T-Mobile's UMTS/HSDPA 3G network, which operates on the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum. This phone is designed to automatically connect to the best available network (3G or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide faster data speeds when accessing the Web or downloading content from the T-Mobile Web2go content portal. T-Mobile is currently rolling out its 3G network, and it expects by year's end that its high-speed data network will be available in those cities where a majority of its subscribers currently use data services.
In areas where the 3G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the via T-Mobile's EDGE network (which stands for "Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution"). This high-speed, mobile data and Internet access technology is fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services (with average data speeds between 75-135Kbps), including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and e-mail on the go.
While this phone is optimized for use with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, many of its functions will also work well on the moderate-speed EDGE network. If you plan to access the Internet extensively on your phone, 3G network coverage may serve you best.
Activities that work well on EDGE or 3G networks:
- Email, instant messaging, and texting
- Downloading ringtones, CallerTunes, wallpaper, light data files
- Sending photographs via e-mail or picture messaging
Activities that work best on a 3G network:
- Viewing content-heavy websites (lots of images or videos playing)
- Viewing YouTube and other video files (they will play on EDGE, but require loading time)
- Uploading large files (photos, videos, presentations) to sharing websites
- Downloading large files from an e-mail or a website
Other features include a 3-megapixel camera, GPS location services, Bluetooth for optional stereo headsets, and microSD expansion to 16 GB.
T-Mobile's web2go intuitive web browsing service makes it easy to view and navigate the web from your phone with features including Yahoo! oneSearch, a customizable home page and a simplified shopping and download experience. You can create a personalized home page for easy, one-click access to your favorite Web sites.
With access to the web2go marketplace included at no additional charge, you can also browse and purchase the latest ringtones, games, wallpaper and mobile optimized applications and services to customize their phone. Providing access to the latest news, information and content, Yahoo! oneSearch intuitively returns results grouped around your intended search. For instance, when you search for a sports team, Yahoo! returns the latest scores, schedules, team profiles, roster, news, images and a link to the team's Web site.
A great choice for those new to touchscreen phones, the easy-to-use Samsung Hightlight provides quick access to your favorite features through Samsung's innovative TouchWiz user interface, which has specially designed widgets to customize and personalize your phone. The simple and intuitive drag-and-drop feature provides instant access to your favorite functions, such as the clock, music player, and instant messaging and photos. The Highlight's full-touch virtual QWERTY keypad and multiple messaging capabilities--including text, multimedia messaging, instant messaging and e-mail--make staying connected quick and easy while on the go.
The Highlight's 3-inch screen has a 240 x 400-pixel resolution and support for a 16-million color depth. Below the screen you'll find standard send/end keys and a single touch control button that accesses the main menu as well as selects functions (such as web browser, phone book, etc.). It comes with both a virtual alpha-numeric keypad as well as a virtual QWERTY keyboard, and the phone's accelerometer automatically switches you from one to another when you change the phone's orientation from landscape to portrait.
The phone has a 60 MB internal memory, which can be expanded via optional microSD memory cards (up to 16 GB in size). The internal phonebook can store up to 2000 contact entries, each with multiple numbers per contact and support for caller groups as well as picture/ringer ID. You can download MP3 real-music and 72-chord polyphonic ringtones, and the phone also includes a vibrate function for when you need to keep things silent.
Handsfree communication is easy thanks to the integrated speakerphone. This phone provides the latest version of Bluetooth connectivity--version 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)--that makes pairing with a headset as well as other Bluetooth devices a snap, and it includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and file transfer. With the A2DP Bluetooth profile, you can stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones.
The 3-megapixel camera can capture still images in four resolution options (from 2048 x 1536 to 400 x 240 pixels), and you can also choose from four quality settings. Other features include white balance and brightness adjustments, multiple scene settings (including night, landscape and action), a self-timer, and four color effects. It also includes three shooting modes--panorama, continuous and mosaic. You can also share them with family and friends by sending them to any e-mail address, T-Mobile camera phone, or MyAlbum. You can also capture video clips in two resolutions (320 x 240 and 176 x 144 pixels), with videos meant for sending via messaging capped at approximately 1 minute. For videos to save to your PC, you can shoot for as long as you have available memory.
Other features include:
- Assisted GPS navigation via TeleNav subscription with a free 14-day trial period
- Digital audio player compatible with MP3 files
- Send and receive instant messages with AOL Instant Messenger; also compatible with Yahoo!, Windows Live and Google Talk
- Conference Calling: Three way conference calling allows you to conduct a call with two other parties at the same time. This feature only works if the second call is outgoing.
- Organizer tools: Calendar, Alarm, Voice Recognition, Tasks, Memo, Calculator, World Clock, Converter, Timer, Stop Watch, RSS Reader
- Currency converter: Easily calculate how much something costs in your currency or check the math of the exchange bureau.
- Vibrating alert: Phone vibrates to let you know you have a call or message without disturbing anyone.
- Voice-activated functions: Control your phone with your voice.
- 72-note polyphonic and MP3 ringtones
- USB connectivity and PC synchronization
- Download new games, sounds and voices from hot artists, instrumental versions of songs, and wallpapers.
The Samsung Highlight weighs 3.7 ounces and measures 4.2 x 2.1 x 0.5 inches. Its 1200 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 6.5 hours of talk time, and up to 432 hours of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies.
Tips and Tricks
- Customizing Widget Bar
Widgets allow quick access to applications that you use often. You can drag the widgets to the Home screen and drag widgets you do not want back to the Widget bar. Touch the folder tab on the left-hand side of the screen to open the Widget Bar; touch it again to close. To choose what applications appear on the Widget Bar, touch Menu > Settings > Widget Manager. Touch the box beside the desired widgets to place a checkmark; "uncheck" the unwanted widgets.
- Using The Magnifier In The Phonebook
Touch on the Phonebook icon on the Main screen. Drag the Magnifi er along the side of the screen to scroll through the letters of the alphabet. Release when the desired letter is reached. This allows you to easily locate a contact.
- Increasing The Size Of A Web Page
While in the Browser mode, increase the size of the web page by using the Volume key.
- Camera Shortcuts
Press the button with the camera icon on the right side phone. Aim and take the picture using the same button (top side if you're holding the camera horizontally). To use the camera's 3x digital zoom feature, press the volume control buttons to zoom in or out, then snap your photo.