GoPro HERO5 Black
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Clever Training
|SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSQXVF-064G-GN6MA) [Newest Version]
|AmazonBasics Carrying Case for GoPro - Large
|GoPro Super Suit (Über Protection) with Dive Housing for HERO5 Black
Capture different with HERO5 Black. Share immersive 4K perspectives that make you feel like you’re there. HERO5 Black makes it easy with its one-button simplicity, convenient touch display and ready-to-go waterproof design. Smooth, stabilized video, crystal-clear audio, and pro-quality photo capture combine with voice control and GPS to make HERO5 Black the most impressive GoPro ever. And when it’s time to edit and share, HERO5 Black automatically uploads footage to your GoPro Plus cloud account to provide easy access on any device. Then, create amazing videos automatically with Quick, the GoPro mobile editing app. Your life as you’ve never seen it-HERO5 Black.
HERO5 Black Camera
The Frame (HERO5 Black)
Rechargeable Battery (HERO5 Black)
Curved Adhesive Mount
Flat Adhesive Mount
Most helpful customer reviews
291 of 305 people found the following review helpful.
From first-time action camera owner: Great versatility, decent video quality
This review is from my perspective as a freelance videographer and first-time action camera owner. I will keep the review short by going over the good, the bad, and the ugly of the GoPro Hero 5 Black.
The good (+3)
- Highly portable. I can quickly charge it and stick it in my pocket for on-the-go shooting.
- Waterproof. Drop this in water and you'll be fine. Swish it around, and still fine. Go diving, yep, still fine (up to 33' without housing).
- Android connectivity. It works fantastically! With the Capture app, I can pay attention to the shot on my 5" phone screen while guiding my arm.
- Stabilization. Unbelievably good. If I'm doing a panning shot or walking down stairs, I don't have to worry about arm jiggle. It's smooth on a bike.
- Audio. Multi-directional recording on this tiny camera is very good. Listen to the raw audio in the attached video to see what I mean.
- Sturdy construction. The smooth plastic, large touch screen, and heft give it a quality feel fitting to the price range.
- Timelapses look great! I recorded a 2-hour once-per-2-seconds timelapse on a single battery and was able to immediately wirelessly transfer it to my phone and share it.
The bad (-1)
- The flap on the USB C port on the side has jammed and fallen off several times. It is easy to put back on, though the possibility of it falling off again has made me think about accidentally losing it.
- The water-tight housing (allows it to go much deeper in water) bumps up against the record button and takes a bit of a squeeze to get it on. Not the worst thing in the world, but hey, it is a hassle.
The ugly (-2)
- At any light lower than near-direct sunlight, digital grain is visible. When in the shade or when it is cloudy, the quality is noticeably worse than in sunlight. Think of the grain as like a fine paint daub look, circa 2010 phone cameras. Yes, it can shoot 4K at a 60 Mb/s bitrate, but even downscaled to 1080p, the digital grain is noticeable. See what I mean in the attached video. My phone, Galaxy S7, takes far better video than the GoPro in lower-light settings. However, no phone camera beats the wide-angle, waterproofing, and general versatility of this camera.
- The GoPro Hero 5 Black is a great $400 action camera intended for a very specific market of videographers. The major downside of this camera (video quality in low light) does not outweigh all that this camera can do. Throw this tiny camera in your bag, go skiing, surfing, traveling the country, and when you're all done, put together something worth sharing. What you don't get with video quality you in return get not having to hassle with lenses, extra batteries, external chargers, equipment bags, and the like, which all get in the way of the action.
22 total points with 4 taken off = 21/24, or about 4/5 stars.
577 of 615 people found the following review helpful.
By Devin Stephens
First impressions: This review will be updated as I get more of a chance to play with this camera. I received it Oct 4th so still plenty of playing around to do!! So far I have added 1 additional con, updated some of the pros, and added a few pros.. I will continue to update!!
Short Review: I have owned GoPro cameras since the Hero 2.. I have recently been introduced to other brands that work just as well but I am loyal to GoPro and had to try out the new hero 5.. I am glad I did because GoPro is now on top of their game again and this is now the best Action Camera I have ever owned!!.. I used to hate all in one designs (Waterproofing being built into the camera) but I actually feel it works very well with this camera and provides much greater protection! No more "Naked" GoPros getting broken! (I have broke a few)
While the Hero 5 doesn't really have any major improvements in resolution or shooting specs, the improvements that have been made in design and software actually work well and really make the photo and videos appear much better! The most notable improvements include built in stabilization that works very well and much better audio! Audio is where action cameras have always been lacking, but GoPro has made a huge improvement here. GoPro has also improved their user interface which is a great improvement. Old models took a little while to learn, but not the Hero 5.. I haven't seen an action camera this easy to use ever! So even though GoPro has carried over the same sensor from the Hero 4, this camera is very much worth the improvements
1.) Video Quality - Is outstanding. The software changes they made, actually make the video quality look much better even though the same sensor was carries over
2.) Much easier to use interface - No more learning curve! Includes Voice Control
3.) Much easier to use - Thanks to the new interface
4.) Audio Quality - This is the most noticeable difference. The audio quality is simply outstanding
5.) Stereo Sound
6.) Ability to shoot RAW WDR (Also a Con because RAW is only available on a few options)
7.) GPS - Can now track where your photos are taken
8.) Camera is now much more durable thanks to the built in housing
9.) Photos are still simply amazing
10.) Battery life is now AMAZING - no more 1 hour battery.. I received a full two hours out of all three of my uses so far
11.) Love the built in screen
12.) I haven't ran into any bugs YET but I own several Action Cameras so the little quirks here and there, I know how to get around them. I'm not really sure they are bugs, but just how action cameras are
13.) Voice Control - Thanks to Amazon, Apple, and others we now live in a day and age of controlling things with our voice.. Voice control is now included on this camera and works well!! This is what action cameras have needed! No longer do you need an app or bluetooth remote to control the camera on a selfie stick.. You can now do it with your voice!!
14.) Supports up to a 128GB memory card! Plenty of room for 4K videos!
15.) The new GoPro software is better than the past.. I like quik and find it to work fine for basic task.. I still use Final Cut for most of my stuff!
16.) Cloud - While the cloud is a good idea, and for some this is a GREAT advantage for the new GoPro. YouTube is free so is my Prime Photo account.. I will continue to use those but I am very happy to see GoPro integrate a REAL cloud solution for their cameras.. I know a lot of people don't like this decision but it isn't required to use their cloud. I was a GoPro Plus Beta tester and I found it easy to use.. I no longer have the account now that it cost money but I did find it to be very well thought out software!
17.) Still works with most OLD accessories!! Of course you need new batteries and stuff but old mounts, chest straps, selfie sticks, grips, and even cases should still work!! (Like storage cases, not waterproof housings)
18.) Higher ISO options than previous GoPros
19.) Improved connectivity to my phone, much easier to pair and connect than previous GoPros
20. Built in Waterproofing works down to 33FT BUT they have an external housing available for divers that makes it waterproof to 196FT
1.) While I was a fan of GoPro plus I no longer use it now that its out of beta. I wish GoPro would integrate free services a little better to their apps and not require the use of their services for their apps.. I would use their apps more often if it was integrated better with services such as YouTube. Final Cut integrates very well with other services, not only Apple Services. I feel that GoPro plus is going to be great for a lot of people, that is why it is also listed in my "Pros"..
2.) The biggest accessory that no longer works that I have a few of, are "Domes" for half underwater photos.. Most Domes that I own have an old GoPro housing that you place the GoPro into.. Something to keep in mind!
3.) Raw is only available on a few options
4.) The REAL waterproof housing now cost $50. This housing allows the camera to go down to 196FT.. The camera HOWEVER IS WATERPROOF already! But only down to 33FT... If you plan to use the camera for scuba this will run you another $50.. The standard housing on the OLD GoPros allowed it to go down to 131FT and then 197FT with the dive housing.. This is why I don't really like built in waterproofing.. We lost a lot of depth on the hero 5!!
1.) Make sure you grab a high quality memory card to go with this. I personally use SanDisk Extreme but GoPros website list a lot of cards they suggest. Using a card that is cheap or not suggested MIGHT cause freezing, the camera to overheat, or even your videos to corrupt.. SanDisk has never given me any issues
2.) There are several Action Camera accessory kits on Amazon that will "Jump Start" your collection of mounts.. Remember, this camera has a basic mount but nothing major.. I recommend a good kit from Amazon to save you money!
3.) GoPro PLUS and GoPro software IS NOT REQUIRED.. I still use it for basic task, and think it works great for basic task but one of the complaints this camera is getting is the new software.. I use more of a professional video editing software such as Final Cut and it still works fine. Also, I don't need GoPros cloud service. YouTube is FREE so is Amazon Prime Photos
Overall: After a few hours of playing with this camera I simply love it and feel it offers great improvements over previous versions! I look forward to updating this review as I play more with the camera.
70 of 73 people found the following review helpful.
NEVER BUY A GOPRO CAMERA FROM GOPRO INC. Purchase a GoPro Hero 5 from Amazon
By Tim L
NEVER BUY A GOPRO CAMERA FROM GOPRO INC.
I love the GoPro Hero 5 Black, it is a great upgrade from the Hero 3+. Unfortunately the first GoPro 5 I received had a defect where the rear touch screen would display a purple tint after 3 weeks of light use. It did not matter if the camera was set to Photo or Video, a factory reset did not resolve the defect either, still a purple tint. The tint on the rear screen did not affect recordings, which was the good part. I called GoPro Inc to report the problem, since they are the manufacturer. I was told a week ago 1/12/2017 that a warranty return authorization would be sent to me that very same day. It is now 6 days later and still no response from GoPro Inc. I decided to contact Amazon yesterday 1/18/2017, since I had purchased the Hero 5 from Amazon, to see if I could get help from them instead of waiting on GoPro. Amazon customer support were more than happy to help me out with a replacement Hero 5 after hearing of the defect. I just received the new one today...1 day after talking with Amazon!!! Now that is customer service! GoPro Inc could learn a thing or two about customer service from Amazon. Thank you Amazon.
I love everything about the new Hero 5:
Auto rotation when recording - no need to set the camera orientation any more
Quick capture button - one button push to start recording
Voice commands - hands free recording
1080P at 120fps all the way to 4K 30fps - 1080 at 120fps is huge for my type of recordings
Time lapse photo and video and night lapse photo
Water resistant to 33 feet without a housing - which means no more need for a $50-$150 housing when snorkeling, recording near water or in wet situations
Rear touch screen built-in - I can now see what I am recording and change setting via touch
An amazing step up from the Hero 3+