Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
|Myriann Wall Mount Bracket Wall Mount Stand Ceiling Holder For Google Wifi , White
|NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS208)
|ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White
Enjoy a fast signal in every room, on every device. Google Wi-Fi is a new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless coverage throughout your home.
Most helpful customer reviews
1065 of 1095 people found the following review helpful.
The Pros, Cons and Oks for Google's WiFi System (HR).
By Honest Reviewer
- Sleek modern design.
- Stet up took me less than 15 minutes.
- The app is simple as you don’t need to login on a computer to change settings.
- For a two story house, your dead spots will be long gone.
- Mesh technology is a new universal way for full home Wi-Fi coverage. Having this you will not have to feel the need to move near your modems as the three system layout will be an environment of Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Download rate has almost doubled for me.
- It’s compatible to my old TP-Link so I expect that it’ll be adaptable a decent amount of devices.
- A pretty cool light system that indicated if you have an issue (red), when it’s on standby/setting up (blue) and when it’s connected (white).
- The auto-updating software is one of the best features. Never have to deal with it again.
- Want to add a new device, just log in on the app as the step takes less than 60 seconds.
- It also consistently checks to make sure that one of the three channels won’t become overused as the network assist makes sure that I’m getting the best speed I can get for my Wifi. This is very helpful as I have numerous phones, tablets, and other computer connected to my Wi-Fi and sometimes they’re functioning within the same location in the house.
- The system is designed to always provide you with the best settings for you home.
- Your kids will not like the fact that you can pause any devices from connecting to the internet. It’s known as the family Wi-Fi and your kids will hate this feature.
- Friends coming over, it does have a guest network which I do intend put into use. It basically operates as an independent connection from your personal one, expect without the option to view shared folders.
- A pretty cool feature is that it gives you an accurate speed of your internet connection and will provide a layout so you can know how much more speed you need to stream 4k videos.
- Supports Alexa as the whole concept is design to move one step closer to a smart home interface.
- Factory resets or rebooting, you can just use the app.
- Having a hardwired Ethernet house, I had no difficulty at all plugging all three into separate ports. There is no change in speed from my end if I didn’t do this function. No issues or errors when doing this as well (so far).
- The app allows you to view which devices are taking the most bandwidth.
- When you ranked which devices are the most important, you’re going to get a best for it. I like this feature because I do have some Wi-Fi hungry devices I that rarely use and this feature is great if I forgot to disable the Wi-Fi on these devices.
- For those who don’t know, Mesh means entire home coverage. Depending on how big your location is, places that where dead spots are no longer an issue to you. Keep in mind that this depends on numerous factors (location size, Wi-Fi access, bandwidth limit).
Cons and Oks:__________
- This is a “install now and leave it alone” device. For those looking for advanced options, this not a product for you as the app has limits on customization.
- Advanced features are only static IP addressing, DNS, port forwarding, plus a couple of other features that anyone who is experts in this field will not appreciate the boundaries.
- You can’t access the system with a browser. When I try to log in on my google chrome browser it redirected me to a web page that tells me that I need to download the app in order to open the features (Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the near future).
- This not for those looking for a high-performance router as you will not be able to go deep into the setting as of right now.
- 1 wired port on the main routers isn’t the greatest news as my TP-Link has 4 ports and is three years old (Plus it’s not nearly expensive).
- No USB ports, if you were hoping for one.
- Upload didn’t really grow that much to put it in the pro list (will explain at the bottom).
- Definitely not for a business as I’ve read that setting a custom DNS server will not work.
- Some updates will fix this in the future but right now you can’t schedule times to disconnect the internet from specific devices.
This is built for a family home, not for a business. It brings you one step closer into a smart home environment as all the settings and features can be changed within the app. Google is trying hard to become more than just an internet browser as its smartphones, tablets, and routers are becoming more of a competitor for Apple and Microsoft.
For me, my Wi-Fi isn’t the best in the world as, on average, my two story house location provides 4.85 MBPS download and a .52 MBPS upload rate. When installing these devices, it’s now 7.71 MBPS download and 1.05MBS upload rate. Some of you might think that still sucks, but what I love about the app is that it lets me know this as it's about finding the right place to establish these Wi-Fi systems. When you have a multi-level home it’ll take trial and error to find the perfect location, as I’m figuring out. I’ve also used in the past Netgear, but what I noticed so far is that when using Netgear, in the past, my Wi-Fi would suddenly get disconnected. This happened so many times that I had to remove Netgear from my house. Google hasn’t shown any signs of this issue, but it’s still too early to tell.
Overall what I would love to see is an included modem as I would expect Google will offer this feature in the near future. I hope Google will also give us the option to dig deeper into the settings as right now they’re indeed pulling restriction on what we can and can’t do on the app. I understand that the concept is built for those who just want to take it out of the box and plug it in without much work (just like an Apple device), but I still would like the option if I know there are settings that may increase my Wi-Fi connectivity towards my devices. Keep in mind this is not going to be for everyone as its design for those who have devices away from the modem and or are facing dead spots. There is still a lot of restriction within the app and I can only hope that updated firmware will fix this issue. Verdict: No more dead spots, an easier interface but a decent amount of restriction.
Hopefully I was a help to you.
495 of 529 people found the following review helpful.
Sleek look. Easy setup. Well designed App. Solid Close and Far Range Performance. Fixed Dead Spot problems.
Only 1 usable wired port for a device on main router (other is for internet from Modem), Unlike the two additional hubs which 2 Ethernet ports are available for use. Most Routers offer 4 ports, only providing 1 feels cheap. Not sold in 2 packs. Also, No USB port at all. You could always add a switch to get additional ports but; at 299 price point, you shouldn't have to.
Google WiFi makes it easy to bring Mesh 802.11ac networking to your home.
Google WiFi works differently than a traditional router, using "Mesh" technology (many units acting together as one WiFi). Mesh WiFi is the best way to provide whole home coverage and mesh is becoming increasingly popular and likely to become the new standard way of having WiFi in the home.
Google WiFi tested 50% faster than my Linksys AC1900, Each points quad core network processor, packet forwarding engine, and dual gigabit Ethernet ports help the network keep up. Each point delivers AC1200 802.11ac performance in a device that looks nice enough to keep out in the open. Its compatible with all your old devices as well so no worries there. Has 3 Light colors, Red Indicates an Issue, Blue Indicates Set Up and White for Connected (light can be turned off or brightness adjusted with the App). Google’s Network Assist WiFi App software manages settings in the background. The software is very Fisher Price styled and Easy to use. All from your Mobile Device, Tablet or Phone, You Can Check Network Speed, Prioritize Devices, Pause or Stop any ones WiFi like kids or guest.
Simply put, not all WiFi systems are created equal, this one is Top Notch and a Keeper.
195 of 208 people found the following review helpful.
Google WiFi works great. I have 100 Mbps service from my ISP
By Alex Oh
Bought a new home and setup internet service. Didn't have a router so was looking to purchase one. Google WiFi works great. I have 100 Mbps service from my ISP. On WiFi using the 5 Ghz band, which Google WiFi chooses automatically (it chooses between 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz band, whichever signal is better, providing you have BOTH bands available), I get full speed (speedtest.net shows 110 Mbps down, 6 mbps up) as if I was on a wired connection. I was surprised, because I thought I would get around 60-70 Mbps, not the full speed offered. I thought I would have to get a crazy expensive gaming router with 20 antennas that looks like Sauron's helmet from Lord of the Rings to get those speeds, but Google WiFi does that for $170 less and it has cool sci-fi-ish looks.
Tips and advice:
1. To get full WiFi speed, make sure your device (PC, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.) has both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands. If you don't you'll be stuck at around 30 Mbps to 70 Mbps.
2. A SINGLE Google WiFi covers 1500 ft. Make sure you're within that range, or get more to create a mesh network so you fall within WiFi range. My home was 1300 ft. so I only needed one.
3. The Google WiFi router only has two ethernet ports, one of which is used to connect to the modem. If you need more wired ports, buy an ethernet switch and connect the router to the switch.
4. When WiFi first connects, it will likely connect you to the 2.4 Ghz band. Don't freak out. If you have a 5 Ghz band and the signal is good, it will connect you within 24 hours. It connected me to 2.4 Ghz band the first time I connected for a long while, but the next day when I started my PC again, it was now using the 5 Ghz band.